Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

aixnag

MIS
Oct 30, 2001
SG
i had problem of network performance in my setup. Found that one of swith port set to half duplex. All my aix servers set to 100mbps full duplex. sorted the problem by setting the switch port to full duplex.

Which among these two (100 fullduplex, auto-negotiation)is best practise to improve the performance of n/w. should i go ahead to set all (switch and n/w interface) to 100 full duplex or auto-negotiations???

what makes the differences between these two modes in operational?

please give detailed explanation since i need to convince my boss for the same.

thanks in advance.
nag

My experience is to set all servers and switched fixed to 100MB Full duplex.
When the system is set to 100MB Full duplex and the switch op auto-negotiation, switch is always polling for the correct settings. The performance when sending data to the machine will be very pore (4Kb/s).

So my advise is to set everything fixed on 100MB full duplex.

Richard

Hi,

We had same experience using auto-negociation on both pSeries NICs and CISCO switches, and really bad performances.

Don't know exactly why, but support (IBM) told us that we should always set them fixed to 100MB (on both side), whereas our network administrator was fighting against it as he didn't want to modify ports configuration on his switches each time we move a server.

Looking for more information, I had found (don't remember where & when) that same rule should be applied, whenever system you have (Solaris, Win ...)

Hello,
network administrator needs to get more education.

You should also change thewall and tcpsend, tcpreceive value to make things faster.

then do search aix performance.

Thanks guys..

Am following the same rule. But the question remains why? ..

If anyone worked or have some info can explore..on this..

Hi,

In AIX 4.2.1 time our experience showed that the best was 100BT,FUll duplex for all - server and switch.
This was because the earlier switch generations showed poor performance with autonegotiation.

Lately (also swithcing to 4.3.3) we have discovered that 100BT,autonegotiation gives good results - I beleive it's also related to a different new sitches behaviour. "Long live king Moshiach !"
h

my understanding is that if you set to AUTO that the fastest you can get is 100 Half..... 100 full is the BEST choice and can only be achived by setting it yourself....

get your learn on...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back