Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network/Packet Monitoring Software - Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

tekkid

Technical User
Dec 28, 2001
US
Hey folks!

I have used Tek-Tips for a while now with lots of problems I've had.. you guys and this forum have never steered me wrong.. so I thought what better place to get advice on some Network/Packet Monitoring software.

I'm currently looking at two different packages.. One from a company named Observer and the other from Tamos.

I'm looking for some software in the range of $250.00 to $1500.00.

If anyone has any suggestions or ideas on what I should take a look at please post here. Thanks again for all the help you folks have given me.

kidd

Do you have any specific requirements? What are you looking for this software to provide you?

btnet,

Sorry I guess I should have explained in detail more...

In General things like Port scanning, Top Talkers, pairs, IP subprotocols, packet monitoring, Protocol distribution, and stats/analysis of network.

Hope this helps.

kidd

I myself use a few different ones. For scanning, I use LanGuard. For packet captures, either NetMon or Ethereal. For "top talkers", Network Probe 0.4. I am about to input MRTG, a Linux/Unix bandwidth monitor for our WAN.
These are all freebies, I know there are better ones that you can pay for, but that is what I use...

Thanks,

Matt Wray
MCSE, MCSA, MCP, CCNA

This is a registry tweak that will automatically close files sessions after a certain time. Remember that editing the registry can be dangerous.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters]
"KeepAliveTime"=dword:300000
"KeepAliveInterval"=dword:5000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back