Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Packet Loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

cipro

Technical User
Apr 27, 2002
CA
I have a network of 7 computers all connected to a HUB (no internet connection). They all have static IPs and log on using Microsoft Family Logon. All of the computers are fine with the exception of one. When sharing files with or from this computer it is very slow. When I ping the computer I am getting between 25% and 100% packet loss (it changes every time). I think that there is approx 100ft of cable between the HUB and computer. A new NIC has been installed.

What could be cauing this? IS it something with the OS?

First stop is the network cable -- either run another Cat5 over or haul the PC near the hub and try another cable. Intermittent performance like that is usually cabling, especially since you've tried another NIC.

Good luck, and report back.

I had a similar problem with packet loss and collisions over a network using win2k and winxp. The problem itself was not the nic card but the default drivers installed on the win2k machine. I installed the latest 3com drivers on the win2k machine and it fixed the network problems.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back