Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network nuisance 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sundust1

Technical User
Jul 29, 2005
US
I have recently been getting a pop up message that say i have a network cable unplugged. I know this is not correct. It seems to knock me offline everytime. It has been happening more frequently. Does anyone have had this similiar problem or know of a fix.
Thanks
Sundust1

The popup you refer to is in response to your losing the network connection, not the cause of it. Check your network hardware cables and connections, ensure they are not loose. Are your security programs up-to-date and scanning and monitoring your computer regularly? Have you checked with your ISP to see if they are having problems and/or see if they can test the line to your home?

What internet service do you use? Ie, Dial up or Broadband?

Are you using a router with built in switch, or just a basic broadband modem directly attached to the network card?

Make sure the router/modem power cables are properly plugged in because if you knock out the power you will get that message.

'When all else fails.......read the manual'

had that also happen many times, caused by damaged cables, corroded and dirty contacts, and or LOOSE cables...

just some food for thought...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Also might want to make sure the option on the network card " allow ups to turn this device off to save power" is not checked. That will cause problems as well.

I have checked my cables they seem to be in good shape. I'm using cable with a modem. I will try ups check and get back with you. This is a recent problem and it is happening more frequently. Could it be my Network car? I'll have to check that too. Thanks everyone for the input.
Sundust1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back