Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

network not working in one part of building

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcpipprogram

Programmer
Apr 29, 2003
IN
Hello friends,
We are facing peculiar problem the problem is that the small part of network is working and we are not able to ping computers in large part of netwrok we are not able to pinpoint the problem that is which part of hardware is not working.If any of u want more details of our n/w i will post them for u as if you can suggest any solution please tell us.we will be thankful to you.

Go on then! Give us some more details!

Chris.

Chris Andrew, CCNA, CCSA
chris@iproute.co.uk

It sounds like one of the switches (or hubs) has died (happened at ex work), all you need to do is find which one and replace.

John

This happening to my company once, but only intermittently. It would be off for much of the morning, but then by lunch time usually it would come back on. It turned out to be that one of our maintenace personell was turning off the breaker that powered a switch and would turn the breaker back on sometime in the morning.

If this is a thinnet installation your symptoms describe exactly what happens when there is a cable break, or there are too many hops before an active repeater is used.

If this is any star topology such as 10-t, Token Ring (sort-of), Arcnet, etc. the problem is due to the cable run between the hubs/switches.

The other possibility is that you have inadvertantly created a subnet at some point. If you use a router or a firewall device make certain that the DHCP server and its scope are on the same network as the other DHCP servers of the network.

I still dont think that you have given enough information for anyone to accurately.

Are there 2 functioning network that can talk amongst themselves, but not to each other? Or, is there One large network that can not talk to some segments? What is your topology?

could be one cable is run next to a high voltage line than gets used intermittently (air conditioning??)..

At this facility the rats keep me busy by chewing through cabling in the walls.

Thankyou to all of u for taking pain to help me. Friends we have been busy in tracking down this problem and at last we have been able to solve problem and as one of our friends has suggested it has been that cable has been chewed by a rat.Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back