Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network not displayed in "Add Network Printer"

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotaru

IS-IT--Management
Feb 8, 2002
US
I run a small network with 98se and XP machines. One of the XP machines recently stopped printing to the print server which is a 98se machine. The XP client shows network connectivity and can browse the hard drive of the print server. I deleted the network printers and went to "add" the printers back and it didn't show any shared printers. The other XP machines on the network print fine. Don't know why it doesn't display printers when i click to browse network printers. Any takers???

I can't remember exactly if this is a DNS or WINS issue or both. but if you add the printer as

\\ip-address-of-computer-with-printer\printersharename

It will work the same way, it doesn't use the name therefor DNS is not needed.

If your iP address changes via DHCP, you'll have to change it. or make that computer static.

This is only a quick fix to get you printing again, you will have to get some advice from someone with more DNS knowledge to fix it proper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back