Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network neighborhood still disappears !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kangooru

MIS
Jan 8, 2002
FR
I've made a Win2k domain in compatible mode with older win products.
My server has two nic, one on the internet, the other on the lan.
DHCP WINS and DNS are installed, and activated only for the LAN interface. Nevertheless, that's the internet interface who's the owner for WINS records of the LAN.
Note that it's also a VPN server therefore it creates one virtual interface in the adress space of the lan.
Randomly WINS records are associated with either the physical interface or the virtual interface upon each reboot. My client PCs are either 98SE or ME. The core of the ethernet cabling is a 10/100 auto switch (Maybe that info could help ?). The node type for the client is now p-node(WINS only), since I've tried h-node before and it was worst, with 'browse master' and 'announce LM' activated or not.
Subsequently to the p-node parametric 'browse master' and 'announce LM' are both disabled on the client PCs.
Of course I've tried Static special records for WINS (1Ch, 1Bh, 1Eh, etc...), local LMHOSTS files, resolution with DNS for windows instead of WINS and so on...
I've even statically parametered the role of Master Browser to my Win2K server with the following registry entries :
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser\Parameters]
"IsDomainMaster"="TRUE"
"MaintainServerList"="Yes"

Also tried some patch against the well known "ResetBrowser" frame which give ability to a malicious user to shut down all of the computers browsers on the same subnet.

But nothing to do : The PCs disappear from the Network neighboorhood randomly, not on all PC at the same time, but all the PCs experience that issue at least once a day.
It seems (I've never been able to catch simulteanously the problem and the cause) to follow :

- either the WINS record for the workgroup (00h) which is never owned by the same machine (i.e : to participate a NT/2000 domain, a 98/ME client must set his workgroup to the actual domain name),

- or the VPN client connections

Anyone any idea ?
Thank you all for your help

Benj Le Kangooru.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back