Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Neigborhood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boozer

Technical User
Aug 22, 2001
US
I don't know what changed, but 2 out of 4 boxes on the network are XP and their Network neighborhood is stopped working correctly about a week ago. When one clicks on any folder in NN (network neighborhood), NN will just hang, until i end it through the task manager, then I have to restart explorer and when I access NN the second, it usually lets me access whatever folder I want. I can ping all computers just fine by hostname and the 98 machines have no problems even accessing files on the xp machines via NN. Anybody tell me what ports XP uses to talk to a local network? The only thing I noticed is that when the comp first boots, the default action for clicking on an NN folder is "Open", but after I end the hung NN through task manager and restart explorer the default action when clicked is "Explore" and thats when it works. But if I right-click on the folder and select "Explore" before restarting explorer, it give the hour-glass for a few seconds and then does nothing. If i select "Open" then NN hangs and I have to end it. Any ideas, suggestions, troubleshooting tips would be greatly appreciated!

Forgot to preview my post ;)

I don't know what changed, but 2 out of 4 boxes on the network are XP and their Network neighborhood stopped working correctly about a week ago. When one clicks on any folder in NN (network neighborhood), NN will just hang, until i end it through the task manager. Then I have to restart explorer and when I access NN the second time, it usually lets me access whatever folder I want. I can ping all computers just fine by hostname and the 98 machines have no problems even accessing files on the xp machines via NN. Anybody tell me what ports XP uses to talk to a local network? The only thing I noticed is that when the comp first boots, the default action for clicking on an NN folder is "Open", but after I end the hung NN through task manager and restart explorer, the default action when clicked is "Explore" and thats when it works.

If I right-click on the folder and select "Explore" before restarting explorer, it gives the hour-glass for a few seconds and then does nothing. If i select "Open" then NN hangs and I have to end it. Any ideas, suggestions, troubleshooting tips would be greatly appreciated!

OK, I have done some more troubleshooting and after running the network setup on both xp machines again, only one has the problem now. The one which has the problem has a proxy server and mail server running on it. The issue seemed to start around the time I set up the mail server. Any ideas on confilicts that could be happening. The weird thing is that the first time one tries to access it, Network Neighborhood (NN) freezes, but if you kill NN with the task manager and restart explorer, a computer has no trouble accessing shared resources on the mail/proxy box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back