Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network (NAT/LAN) Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ernst

IS-IT--Management
Jul 23, 2001
ES
I've got 2 PC's - 1 running Windows 2000 Server and 1 running Windows 2000 Professional. I have 2 NIC's in the server machine, and 1 NIC in the client (the professional box). I'm attempting to set up NAT, but I can't even get the 2 machines to appear on a LAN together. I've directly connected the NIC's in each machine, but each connection is labeled as 'cable disconnected' do I need to have some type of hub setup in between the 2 machines in order to get LAN/NAT functionality?

I have 1 IP, and I'm trying to share the internet connection. I would run ICS, but I can't because I'm running a DNS Server off of the one machine.

Mike

I am assuming that the two computers are connected with a CAT5 cable connected directly to both NICs ... if this is the case:

You can either get a hub or make/buy a crossover cable to connect the two PCs togeter.

Ethernet uses wires/pins 1&2 to transmit and 3&6 to receive. If you connect two NICs togeter with a normal (straight through) CAT5 cable, then the transmit on one PC will be going to the transmit on the second PC... but what you need is the transmit to goto the receive. A crossover cable "crosses" the two main pairs to correct this problem. A hub does this naturally.

Here is probably a better explanation (me not so good with wurds .. ha)
You can probably purchase a crossover cable for $20 or less at your local PC shop ... or a 5 port hub for $40 or less. I would probably go the hub route because if you are like me, you are probably going to add more PCs to your network in the near future and to do more than two you will definatly need a hub/switch.

ICS does work ... but in your case NAT is the answer. I have been using NAT for 3 years now (Windows is now catching up with Unix), and is a much better way to go.

hi ernst
see the post below :

thread96-119736 Kapil Aggarwal

Technical Director
Infovalley Interweb Pvt. Ltd.
Microsoft Certified System Engineer
visit
If u find the information provided here useful to u then let me know by clicking on the link below s-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back