Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network name not found.... urgent help

Status
Not open for further replies.

dblaine

Technical User
Jul 28, 2002
CA
Hi all,

I have a win2000 DC 'connection.com'. There was an hardware failure as well as os failure of my server. so I had rebuild another server with same name DC 'connection.com'.There are no errors in the server.

Now when i disjoin my clients and add again to the domain i am gettig an error saying that "The network name is not found". I had checked the connectivity, ping and nslookup. All are pointing fine, still i am getting this error and not able to add the clients.

Is it any DNS problem? do i need to add any record, also one small change is my previous netbios name is "connect" and now it is "connection", is it any way related?
Please kindly help soon, as my complete network is down.

regards,
dbaline

i encountered the same problem with the server here so i re-installed it, i put the same old values that the previous one, the netbios name i still put the old one. and i didnt have any problem joining the other pcs in the network.

as for the dns, i dont think that its the dns because i have joined the pcs in the network without putting dns in the server. i just put a static ip for the server.

This is DNS problem if you can ping the server. Make sure DNS ip of the workstation is pointing to your DNS server most probably is also your DC server.

Can you post ipconfig/all? (DHCP or Static)

Hi,

Reinstalling the complete server will be again a mess for me.Please any other alternative.

And for ricpinto query, all are DHCP clients only, no static ips for the clients. My DC is also a DHCP server.

Any more please............. i am completely in trash.

regards,
dblaine

Hi,

Check all of your network services.
Is the WINS server got the right Netbios name and IP address that you are using? Is the old record still there, delete it and any old DNS records.
Check your server's TCPIP parameters DNS suffixes etc match the clients DHCP set ones.
I think the problem is there.

Hope that gives you a start

Can you please also, post ipconfig/all? so we can start somewhere. If you check the questions, all can be answered by ipconfig/all so are the questions that will come later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back