Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

'Network Name' Failover VERY slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbyrne

MIS
Feb 3, 2005
IE
Hi,

After installing MSCS on Windows 2003 (2 node cluster, servers are memeber servers not DCs), we ran some basic tests, as recommended by the installation doc.

For failover testing we brought down node1 and all resources failed-over instantly to node2, with the exeption of the 'Network Name' which is 'online pending' for 40 seconds before coming online on node 2.

Created a new 'Network Name' resouce but still experience the exact same amount of time of 'online pending' before coming online on node 2.

This behaviuor was identical failing back to node 1.

Check your WINS & DNS setup. Generally when the network name can't failover or is slow you will find some weird entries in your DC event log.

What IP resource does the network name depend on? you should have something like:

1. Cluster management Group
a. IP resource
b. Disk resource
c. network name resource

2. File group 1.

a. IP resource
b. disk resource
c. network name resource
d. share resource

The dependent resource for any resource that has dependencies within a given group should reside within that group. This is called atomicity. When you violate atomicity, say make the network name resource in file group 1 dependent om the IP resource in the cluster management group for instance, failover will be very slow or not work at all.

Hey gbyrne

I was wondering if you could share that doc on how to install the clustering i need to do something like that at work as well but i cant seem to find any good documentation on how to configure the cluster with failover from scratch could you plz help me . thank you very much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back