Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network monitoring tools 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

aloo

IS-IT--Management
May 27, 2002
AU
We are looking to expand our small network, 6 PCs and a server, and want to monitor loading to determine how much expansion our system can take before we need to upgrade. I have consulted with some 'computer consultants" who say they will charge us to monitor the network for 2 hours and charge us to provide a report. Does anyone have any idea on what parameters should be being monitored and if there is any trial software I can try to do this without having to call them in??

When you say "system", do you mean just the server or do you mean the entire network?

If you mean the server, assuming you are running NT or Win2K server you can setup perfmon to report on processor utilization, disk capacity, utiliztaion, etc.

If you mean the network, I would question the need to monitor at all. You only have 6 PCs and a server how much traffic do you really have? what is your network topology? Perfmon in W2K server will also monitor network traffic, or so they say. I've not actually done it on the server.

Another tool to check out, which will do all of the above, and it's free...is CIM Compaq's Insight Manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back