Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 8, 2004
CA
Does anyone know of a good freeware network monitor tool that can display or identify machines using up more bandwidth then others? I am trying to find something just basic to help ID a few problem machines / users compared to others.

thanks

Either wireshark or any netflow utility should be able to do what you are looking for.

I think Wireshark will be too confusing as it's for packet inspection rather than traffic.

If you are familiar with SNMP and your devices support it use the demo versions of PRTG - they will let you probe devices (and PC's) to create graphs of utilisation or ping response. The freeware version does up to 10 "sensors" ie ports or devices. I'd recommend gettign a hold of the older version as it's simpler to understand than the new version (V7).. but that may just be me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back