Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Mandrake 8.0 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TGPoe

IS-IT--Management
Oct 8, 2000
US
I currently have a small network of 3 Win 98 machines and one Linux. I am using a Class C network. I am only shareing files between the Win machinens. I have one of the Ethernet card on a Win unit conected to my cable modem. The Question is I am trying to get from the linux box to the win box as a gateway. Any help will be great.

Hi,

I think the only way you can get this to work is to use M$ internet connection sharing (came with win98 second edition) and configure linux as a ICS client .

Once you have ICS working, you just need to configure the linux eth0 in the same subnet, i.e. 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.254 mask 255.255.255.0 and set the default gateway to the IP address of the ICS winbox.

You would set the IP address of the Linux box in DrakConf - Networking - somewhere under the basic host information I think.

Otherwise, just do it the other way round. Set Mandrake as the box connected to the internet and use IP masquerading to allow the other three boxes to share the link.

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back