Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Logon Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

HRAM

Programmer
Nov 7, 2003
NL
I created a few shares and assigned permissions. The problem is that when other users want to get into my computer over the network, some get a logon screen asking for user name and password and some don't. It seems that Windows XP users don't get the logon screen.

Since there was no logon, the users cannot get into the shared folder because Windows 2000 declares they have no permission. But I think the problem is because there was no logon, Windows 200 has no user name to check the permission.

What could be the problem here?

Under Users and Password I have checked the Checkbox “Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer”

Thanks for your help

HR

First, give the users a password. The default installation of XP will use a blank or empty password, and this is not what you want.

Second, Start, Run, control userpasswords2

Check to enable the security logon on the bottom of the second page of the dialogue box.

Thanks for your reply.

When I created the users I gave them passwords.

Please note that I run Windows 2000.

When I run: control userpasswords2 - nothing happens, i.e. no dialog box coming up.

Ok, control userpasswords works for W2k.
On the Advanced tab, section Secure Boot Settings, Require users to press Ctrl-Alt-Del before logging on is enabled. Is that what you meant?
Alas, the problem is still there-no logon dialog.

"It seems that Windows XP users don't get the logon screen."

Then how do I implement share level security for XP users?
Means, how do I give XP users permission for a shared folder?

Enter all the usernames and passwords of computer A into computer B, and vice-versa.

You then use NTFS restrictions to grant or deny permissions on a user basis to each drive/folder/etc.

Thanks for your reply. Alas, it didn't work that way.
But I found the solution after fiddling around for a long time. If I disable the guest account then I get the logon dialog and everything works as expected. Obvious, isn’t it? J
Thanks again

On your Xp machines, is Simple File sharing enabled?

Yes, Simple File sharing is enabled on those machines. Still have to check if that could cause this behavior

Simple file sharing is causing this problem. It relies on "guest" access to allow file sharing. If you turn off this feature, file sharing will be more like Win2k. User rights to file structure might need some tweaking, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back