Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network logon being skipped

Status
Not open for further replies.

algraff

Programmer
May 28, 2001
US
I have several Win98 workstations on an NT 4.0 network that have suddently started skipping the network logon dialogue and going straight to the windows logon prompt. After Windows loads, just about everything (including Internet access) except files and applications on the server is available without logging into the network. Pressing CANCEL at the logon prompt puts you into Windows without even a user name of any kind.

If you log off, it takes you to the network logon and you can then load Windows with network support.

This is in a school situation, so we need to be able to make sure only students who are permitted to use the computers can log on...CIPA and all that....

Of course nobody pays attention when they turn on their computers on and the teachers call me to complain when kids can't access the network resources.

I've tinkered around with the registry a little bit using a couple of tips I found in some other tech groups, both addressing the autologon feature, but nothing seems to really fix the problem.

Anybody got a suggestion?

algraff ::)

Primary Network Logon is Client for Microsoft Networks (?)

i also administrate win98 and win95 pcs on a NT 4.0 server network.

u have to set the following on the client win98 machines
control panel > network
1.look for something that goes like logon network or primary logon near the bottom of the dialog and set the choice to "client for microsoft networks"
2. bring properties for this and type in the info for domain name.
then press ok and ok to exit from the Network applet

you probably would get a prompt for the win98 cd so get it ready. after that just restart the computer
you should get the desired effect.

would also suggest u check out references on the Web on how to connect a win 98 client to NT Server 4.0. its pretty standard procedure you know.

hope helps
xhaya[noevil]

Fixed! [tongue] The problem finally boiled down to adding NETBEUI protocol. Don't know why the network has suddenly decided it needs NETBEUI, it's worked for 4 years without it, but they've had some outside folks working on some stuff at another building on the WLAN. Maybe they added something that needs NETBEUI. Anyway, whatever works...

Algraff ::)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back