Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NETWORK LOGIN NAME 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

IAMCONFUSED

Programmer
Nov 1, 1999
US
HOW DO I ACCESS THE NETWARE 4.11/CLIENT 3.1 LOGIN NAME FROM A USER?

As far as I know, Access doesn't have a function for this. It does have something which may be useful to you if you have set up security on your database. CurrentUser will return the Access login name. This is the name that is entered in the Access login dialog box when opening a secured application. If you change the password of the Admin User, this forces the login dialog box to pop up, and by default Access populates this with the network log in name. If you set up that name in Access security, you can then access it with CurrentUser.

I know that in Access 97 there is a function called Environ() which you can use to access environment variables. This is how I normally access the Windows 95/NT username, although I can't actually remember the name of the environment variable off the top of my head. It shouldn't be that hard to find out though.<br>
<br>
Jonathan

Wow! Thanks, Jonathan! This will be great for me to use on my unsecured apps! I found this works 2 ways, environ(23) or environ(&quot;username&quot;).

Just to add, if you go to a command prompt/dos window and type SET, this shows the current environment variables....most of them seem to work...certainly beats using the API if you can live with this!

back again....if anyone wants a code snippet to pick this out from the API drop me a line.<br>
<br>
Andrew<br>

Almost 2 years later but that Environ() function is priceless to me. So simple but so usefull. Thanks heaps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back