Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Login Authentication

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wantabie

Programmer
Apr 29, 2004
US
I was asked if there was a way to create a login script that will validate with the Network domain users name and password. Is this possible?

The process will be implemented into a existing Access 2000 File Format database/application.

Well, more like taking the Windows login username and password and having it authentication with the server when they try to login into the database application.

for instance. I login into Windows XP desktop using my assigned ID and password underthe company's domain server.

Now i want to be able to create a login script that will use the same ID and password pulled from the domain server. That way when the system requires a password change, it will also change the users password for the application.

I want to know how to do that. If possible.

Uh, the standard security solution for this situation is to just put the database on a network folder, and allow access to only a few people. These people "put in their password" when they log into Windows, then that authentication allows them access to the folder.

Why add an extraneous password?

You are correct. The database back-end is located on a shared Network drive. The front-end is located locally on the users workstation. Due to corporation policy. all network applications, need to have a seperate user authentication process. I was asked if it was possible to have the application authentication process coincide with users network login.

In other words, when the user tries to login into the application. The users name and pass is authenticated against the network username and password. A way to get the username and password to authenticate with the domain server.

is this possible?

Ask them if you have to put in a password whenever you open a Word document. Argue Access doesn't count; they've got to bend. That's an unusual policy.

Of course I don't know where you work so maybe it's not unusual given your industry. Good luck.

Any password you pop up/verify doesn't actually carry any security along with it--you can probably figure out how to check their password, but you can't really lock it down if they get the password wrong...

I was able to locate want I was needing.

Graham R Seach of Pacific Database Pty Limited was able to provide me with a starting point. I actually stunbled onto this as is was browsing his various free code for Access.

Here is a link to what i found:

Thanks to all those that responded to my request, for your time to answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back