Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network issue with windows 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

lowryt

Technical User
Sep 3, 2001
IE
Hello

I am having problems with a dell laptop running Windows 2000
SP2. It was working fine and one morning and the next it wasn't, I acn ping IP address but I can't pick up the domain
name.Anybody got any ideas.

Thanks
TL

You will need to provide some more info:
What kind of doamin? NT/2K
Are you using DHCP?
Has anything changed on the network hardware?
Has your TCP/IP setup changed?
Can you ping the PDC, BDC?

There are buch of things that could cause this....your network card could be one.
A+, N+, MCP

Hi
It is dhcp and as far as I am aware there are no changes, I am able to get to the mail server and I can ping both pdc and bdc . I am getting an icon on the tool bar to indicate that I have a network connection. But when I try to input the domain name it tells me that either it does not exsist or it is unavaiable and wnewn I run an IPCONFIG I get all the relivent info. I have tried a reinstall of the NIC drivers ,no joy.

TL

Are you logged into the domain? Do you have a workgroup name setup in your network settings instead of the domain name?

Are you dialing-up using RAS into the server, or are you connected via NIC on the network itself?
Pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

Hi
I found out what the problem was , it turned out to be the Nortons Internet firewall.It was working but when I downloaded the latest update thats when I got the problem.
I have uninstalled it and I'm back on yhe network
Thanks for all the help
TL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back