Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

network issue with web server

Status
Not open for further replies.

thompom

Technical User
Dec 4, 2006
GB
Hi - my users are having probs accessing a web server
over an intranet that runs asp pages.
The users see "page cannot be displayed"

The following works fine over the intranet
-other database apps
-printers
-VNC

local webserver users are fine and use IP ADDRESS to access server so not DNS issues.

I have found that if i run a ping test to the server this sorts the problem on the client for a while.
Have run extended ping tests and all are fine.
Have rebooted the web server and clients and cleared temp files.

Any other tests I can run or any ideas to find out the issue?

hope this is the right forum for this - have run out of ideas

thanks in advance

put a test.htm file on the server with "Hello world". see if that works. if no then it is not asp related, and most probably a user rights issue.
if .htm works, but asp not check if asp is installed/ enabled. if yes, create a test.asp with
Code:
<%
response.write "Hello world"
%>

if that works, then your asp is (of course) more complicated, and the source of error. check the webserver settings: allow error messages to the browser (in some cases i have better debug results with firefox then IE)

do you make use of includes? if an include file is misspelled/ missing this could result in an error like this.
wrong redirect?

hi - thanks for the ideas
tried the test with an html file and still have issue
so is not an asp problem.
also local users on same physcial site are fine
is there another forum I should move to?

thanks - but found something in firewall logs, teach me not to check first (although cant see why this has suddenly become an issue)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back