Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Issue, Cannot See other computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

trolley

Programmer
Jan 29, 2004
US
Hi All!

I am having a network issue on my home network. I have two Windows 7 PCs, a Unix File Server and a NAS device. I cannot browse my network for the other systems in my network. I can ping the systems just fine and map network drives manually. I also run a virtual XP session (using VMware) and this system cannot browse the network either. It just sees itself, like the Win 7 systems. I am running Norton 360 on all Windows systems.

I have set NTLMv2 to "... if negotiated" a long time ago to get access to non-windows systems and I doubled check to make sure it was set.

I have been searching the web and this forum all day for help. Can anyone tell me what is wrong? I would be very grateful.

Are they on the same home group? what is network type set to? what happens if you disable norton on the win 7 computers? Go to network and sharing and click on map network, do you see the other computers there?

rclark250,

At the moment, I cannot disable Norton 360, password issue. My Homegroup was messed up, but is fixed. No change to my problem. I tried to map the network as you said, and I only got the Windows 7 systems.

Well, you can go to services.msc (type services.msc in the search bar) and see if these services are started:
Function Discovery Resource Publication
SSDP Discovery
UPnP Device Host
But I would bet that Norton is locking down the network, and it may stop the service after you start it.

You could also try:
Within the Network and Sharing Center select Change advanced sharing settings
Then select the Turn on network discovery option for the current network profile (Home or Work)
then click Save changes

I have checked both services and they are running. I was able to turn off the firewall on Norton 360.
Unfortunately, still could not see all the network.

I logged onto my Verizon FIOS router and it can see all the network devices on the network.

What else should I try?

there are 3 services listed, and did you look at the second suggestion? It might still be 360, setting a policy, so even disabling the firewall won't produce the desired effect.

I doubled checked all three services and they were started. I have a Windows 10 Beta running in a virtual machine using VMware. It does not have Norton 360 running and I have the same problem.

I will look into Norton 360 for a possible solution.

trolley,
Let's set aside the NAS and Unix file server for a moment. Are the Win7 workstations able to access each other's shared files and folders? If so, then it is working as designed. When you join a homegroup in Windows Vista and above, not only are you "allowing" access to shared resources, but you are also "preventing" access from other non-members. Since access is given to members only, the Unix file server and the NAS are out of luck. Let us know if this describes your issue before we troubleshoot any further.

-Carl
"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."

[tab][navy]For this site's posting policies, click [/navy]here.

I have Windows 7 Professional and my wife has Windows 7 Home Premium. We can see each other on the network, share files and printers. As I said, I cannot see to browse my NAS nor Unix File Server. When I bring up a Windows XP Professional or Windows 10 virtual system, I only see the system I am accessing.

I did remove myself from the homegroup and that did not change the results.

As Cdogg said, you will never see the NAS or a Unix box in "browse the network". You said it just sees itself like the windows machines, so I thought you couldn't see the other win 7 machine from a win 7 machine. I know xp and win 7 machines didn't like to work together well, I have zero knowledge on windows 10, as it is still beta, and I haven't looked at it yet. I think the network on the windows 7 machines is working as intended.

Well, up to to a couple of weeks ago, it worked just fine. When I browsed the network, all systems were present.

Thank you all for looking at this.

Well, I decided to reboot the NAS system and to my surprise, I can now see all the systems on my network
in Windows Explorer.

Lesson learned...

Again, thanks to all that tried to help me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back