Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

network icon in taskbar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyramus

Programmer
Dec 19, 2001
GB
anyone know why the network icon in taskbar stays on in win2k when I'm disconnected from internet?

Are you still connected to a network? If so, that is why.. In the properties of you LAN connection, near the bottom of the screen is a check-box to show icon when connected.. Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

That's just the point. No, I'm not still connected to a network. It appears when I connect to the internet on my ISDN dialup- but the icon stays there even when I am disconnected (e.g. after 2 hours when its auto-cutoff).

One other question for you... When holding the mouse over the network icon, does it sometimes not show any information in the little popup window...

I'm connected to a LAN via seperate nic cards and a cable modem to the Internet, and sometimes I will have two network connections on the taskbar, but only one of them will show a network connection when holding the mouse over top of it(ie. bps, time connected, etc)... The other network icon will act like it's not even there...

Have you or anyone else seen this problem?

Thanks,
Steve

I've seen this often and have learned to deal with it. I use a wireless lan card, a dial-up modem, and a standard lan card. I just think that windows gets confused with more than one network connection.

I don't have more than one network connection- I just have a single ISDN card.

Heres a detailed explanation:

1. I connect to the internet with my ISDN card. The icon in the taskbar appears to show the connection is active.
2. After 2 hours, BT disconnect automatically. However, the icon in the taskbar is still displayed, telling me that I am still connected to the internet even though I'm not.

Any solutions? The reason I want to solve it is that I want my computer to automatically reconnect when disconnected after 2 hours. As it doesn't seem to notice the disconnection, then it still thinks it's still connected even though its not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back