Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

network for small LAN and WAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

slok

Programmer
Jul 2, 1999
SG
I'm more of a software guy and is new to networking.
Nonetheless, here is the situation now...

==
A small and very traditional company with a HQ office and 5 branch office. They are not networked at this point in time.

HQ office have around 10 PC with no network. HQ also have 2 printers. Each printer is connected to one PC. HQ office's PC is spread across 2 floors.

Branch offices have around 5 PC with no network. Each also have a printer connected to 1 PC.
====

1. What LAN architecture will be suitable for HQ office?
- I am thinking of Star topology given the small number of PC. Also, 2 hubs / switch (depending on cost difference) will be used to connect the 2 floors. 2 hubs/ switches will be conected and the PCs in each floor will be connected to the respective hub/swtich. A print server will be used to connect the printer to the network, thus freeing the PC and allows everyone on the network to share the printer. Also, a 10/100 NIC will be installed on all the PCs.

Did I miss anything?

2. WAN to connect HQ and branch office.
- the company have very little information to transmit. But is thinking of automating part of their process. ie. Have in place a new system that automates the synchronisation of all the data between office at the end of the day.

I estimate that each transfer (from one branch to HQ) is less than 1Mb.

- this is where it stretches me. What will be a good way to transfer this data over to HQ in a cost effective way? Also, what are the equipment necessary for WAN setup between all the offices?

Thanks in advanced.

You definitly want 10/100BT switches, not hubs. Switches provide full bandwidth to each port and hubs divide bandwidth between whichever ports are in use. They cost about the same so I don't know why anyone would want a hub. I have had great luck with Netgear brand. I use one that automatically senses regular wiring or crossed over wiring so that you can plug in a computer or an uplink to another switch/hub into any port. It has been very reliable. I have a netgear switch in each of two buildings that are more than the maximum recommended 300ft apart and the connection works flawlessly. I'm sorry I can't offer any info on the WAN.

You may want to check out wireless ethernet. I don't know anything about it, but it seems like that might be a convenient way to set up a network more easily. Linksys makes a wirless switch/router that will route your broadband internet connection to the entire network. I use the wired version of this and it works great.

Definetly check into wireless. I'm setting up a wireless network at home because I have an old house, and running wires is not an option. I'm having some issues connecting to the internet with my wireless laptop using my wirless router, but that's an issue with my dsl. I can connect to my desktop from upstairs using vnc quite nicelly. Look into it. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

"The past, though it cannot be relived, can always be repaired."
John La Farge (1835-1910); U.S. artist.

Wireless is OK, but if you are transmitting Sensitive Data, Wireless is easier to break into from outside the Building unless you buy an encription package.

I'd use a Star/Extended Star topology also.

In your HQ and at your Locations, I would look into Managed Switches with a HTML interface. Switches with this option allows you to check any of their Connectivity remotely. You don't pay that much more for what you gain.

I'd also use 10/100 NICs on the PCs.

Between your Locations is a tweener. I'd need to know more about how much traffic is generated from each. ISDN is an option using VLAN over Internet. Or if you need constant Connectivity, Frame Relay would be an option with a Fragmented T1 @ 56Kb to start.

On the WAN aspect your gonna need to routers and a leased line of some sort. TRSears suggested Frame Relay/ISDN both of those are good options depending on your location Cable/DSL may be an option depending on what your sending through the wire. If it is credit card #'s and payroll info I would look into getting routers with builtin VPN tunneling for added security.

Good Luck you have a big project ahead of you,

Nick Nick Mitchell
Network Engineer
Delaware.Net

For the described application I would install a LAN at HQ with a server and run a thinclient environment so that all PC's and printers can be better managed - updates, security, backups, etc. Good servers are relatively cheap.
Then I would be connecting your branch offices with either Frame Relay or DialUp Frame Relay and have all those PC's and printers running off your server at HQ.
Again, from a management point of view this provides flexibility and control.
Your HQ server would, ideally, run RAID'd disks, have hot-swap power supplies and be powered via a good UPS.
This is a relatively inexpensive configuration and it gives you significant control.
Plus, all your email/internet traffic goes through the server and can be controlled.
Each of your LAN's connects to Frame Relay via a router, typically Cisco.
Regards.

hi [ponder]

i have a 2 questions: how many connections can a hub/switch handle..5, 10, ??
and: if a main office needs high-speed connections to several branch offices, should they all be the same connection-type? or does that depend on the branch's requirements?

digital thanks
liltech

liltech,
Switches typically come in multiples of 4 ports.
You can buy a 4 port switch, an 8 port switch, a 12 port switch or a 16 port switch.
Additionally, switches can be daisy-chained together to give a higher number of ports.
With regard to connections to multiple branches, there is good reason to use the same connection type throughout your network - easier to diagnose faults, equipment redundancy, moving equipment around, easier to understand, sometimes cheaper due to bulk buying etc.
But if some offices need to be up 24 hrs and/or have large data transfers and/or are mission critical, versus a periodic low volume office, then it is worth considering different communications techniques. E.g 24x365 Frame Relay or ISDN connection vs 56k dial-up.
There are so many factors - sometimes the service provider in the area cannot provide the service you want.
In general, however, seek to use the same technique across all branches, even if it requires stretching the budget a bit. Invariably, the branch you think is just a low volume user will become a medium volume user within a year, particularly if you don't constrain them. Usually this is a good thing. It's better to suffer a little financial pain now than to be chasing your tail and continually going to management for upgrade finance every 12 months.
Regards.
KNJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back