Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

network folders unreachable until restart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charliesz

Technical User
Jul 24, 2003
CA
Good day.

Running Windows 2003 Standard

i have 2 Windows XP Pro clients which do the same thing
Both of these clients have shortcuts to folders which are on the Windows 2003 server machine

Each time i come in the morning, both of the machines have difficulties connecting to those folder. I have to restart each , and then they would have no problems accessing that network folders.

What might be causing this?
Has it anything to do with power settings?

Thanks

What are the problems? Is there a red "x" on the drive mapping? Or can you simply not get into the share? Is there an error message, or does it just hang?

Will
[morning]

When i try accessing the folder ... it waits for a logn while and then prompts me with a long/password prompts, to access the server. As if its not longer a part of the domain

Jesus i type way too fast, im sorry for all the speeiling mistakes.

And once again, that remote folder i have shortcut'ed on the desktop

You might want to check your local security or domain policy for password timeout. If it's set for only a day or 2, then it could be your network password is timing out.
We have several people here that every 30 days are working busily when suddenly they get asked for logons when trying to access shortcuts, and folders on the network that they were accessing only that morning!
We get them to change their password and log off, then log on, and all is well.

Will
[morning]

Thanks for your speedy reply.

I briefly checked for something similar in domain policies and most of the settings are "Not defined" (did not find "password timeout"). BUT i will check in more detail in a couple of hours. Do not have physical access to the server as we speak.

I will let you know on the results
Thanks a bunch

OK, ive checked Group Policies, Domain Policies. I cannot find anything that would say "password timeouts. I found something similar however which might be of some use?

"Microsoft Network Server: Disconnect clients when logon hours expire". But i do not have any logon hours set.

Also, Kerberos Policies : ticket timeouts amd such. Not sure if thats what i need (reading on it)

One thing i have to mention is that most of the settings are at "not defined" so i do not think anything is forced to disconnect users automatically after some timeout.

Well, its definitely somewhere, but i cannot find it...not yet.

Try defining some of them. When set to undefined, your system will be slave to default values, and I'm not sure what those would be, as we set ours to specific times.
Particularly with Windows 2000 and then Windows 2003/XP, the defaults have gotten tighter each time.

Will
[morning]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back