Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network File Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

thelanlegend

IS-IT--Management
May 25, 2004
US
I have for the past few months had issues with file tranfers across my local network. Almost every file I receive (and some I send) are corrupted once the transfer is complete. The original file is always fine, but the transferred file is almost always no good. Any ideas why this is?

-The Legend

How/what are you using to xfer the files?????

Rick Harris
SC Dept of Motor Vehicles
Network Operations

Obviously as this is the ethernet category in the forum, I am using ethernet and a 24-port linksys rackmount switch to do the transfers. All the transfers are set up and completed through windows/explorer.

-TheLegend

File sharing enabled, and either copy/paste or click/drag.

-TheLegend

While I do get occasional slow transfers, and windows will slow down during large transfers, this doesn't mention anything about corruption. I will see what I can do to adjust the interframe gap, but I am not too overly bothered with slow transfers, my main concern is unusable files after transfer.

-The Legend

No it does not mention corruption as a specific issue.

1. One thought would be to use common checksum compression tools on each end:

. ZIP or RAR the file at the source.
. un-ZIP or un-RAR the file at the receiver site.

RAR is attractive as you could split the file into manageable pieces and checksum each part, combining at the end node.

2. I think you should seriously consider that this is not an OS issue, but one of your hardware or cable plant. For example, last week I distributed to just short of 13,000 workstations a forced update package that totalled slightly more than 1.1gb, in two days without a single faulty transfer.

Try with another NIC if you havent already done that.
Can you administrate the switch, and see if there are any errors on the ports??

-Cheers, Niklas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back