Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network File Copying / PE / RIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiz0fBaud

Technical User
Jul 2, 2003
US
Hey guys,

I am using Remote Installation Services to boot DOS with network support. I have a drive mapped. When I try and copy files over anything longer than 8 Characters, for example Program Files, gets turned to PROGRA~1. I believe this is a limitation of the xcopy utility, and/or FAT. Are there any freeware utilities to copy these files over in DOS while retaining their Long File Names. Or do any of you network admins know of another Pre Installation Enviornment that can be loaded with RIS, just so that I can get network support and copy files over. All I need is a way to use Remote Installation Services, to boot some type of PE with network support so I can copy files over.

THANKS BIGTIME!!

-Mark

You must make sure your boot disk has an OS that supports FAT32... in other word: Win95b boot up disk or higher. If you use DOS 6.22 or Win95a, then you will get that problem.

As far as boot up disks go, for RIS, you must either use the Bootup Disk that RIS services creates for you (supports Intel Pro and 3Com 3C905x cards) or it must be able to boot via PXE or UNDI... most new onboard network cards support this, otherwise, most cheap cards need to have the BOOT PROM, which most don't. That empty chip slot on the network card... that's it. hehe.

They both have the same result, they will try to communicate with the DHCP and then connect to the RIS server if properly configured. MS site has a "How To Configure a RIS server" in the Knowledge base.... there is also a forum called Application Deployement... and get ready for a whole new set of headaches... but you save so much time...

"In space, nobody can hear you click..."

I got the network boot with dos support communicating to the server already.

In otherwords, I used a 3rd party app to map a drive and it works really well to copy things over, anything less than 8 characters anyway. When I run DOS, and typer ver, for Version. IT says win 98 version blah blah. So it should be fat32 support. so two questions...

1. I used the FORMAT command to format the local drive. Will this format it in FAT16, therefore not supporting long file names?

2. What command can I use to make it fat32 support? And if I get fat32 support can I simply use xcopy and will it support long file names instead of truncating it?

Thanks!

You can force format to go in FAT32:

FORMAT C: /FS:FAT32 /Q

/FS:filesystem Specifies the type of the file system (FAT, FAT32, or NTFS).
/Q: Quickformat

You should try to map your drives using the NET USE command instead. Your 3rd party software "might" be the problem with your files getting the old 8.3 format.

NET USE G: \\SERVER\SHARE

Ok I tried that, still no change, the long file names/directories are not retained....any ideas?

IE Program Files, turns into PROGA~1

No.. maybe we need more information, like what are you loading in your CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT... and if exists, your SYSTEM.INI and PROTOCOL.INI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back