Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Experiance....

Status
Not open for further replies.

JinRoh

MIS
Jan 8, 2004
US
So I just passed my N+ recently and am begining on my iNet+, which i might add I already hate because I know next to nothing about coding HTML, any of you guru's out there have any suggestions for gaining some "hands on" experiance in networking? I feel I have good book knowledge, but my actual going out and breaking it experiance is limited to screwing up my home network :). It's completely pratical to play with the network at my school due to the large number of people on it at any given time who wouldn't take kindly to me booting out of a CISCO telnet session. And yet another newbie question to throw to the dogs....After iNet+, what would you suggest as to a further course of study. I am trying to get a broad base of MS and Networking knowledge. Thanks Ya'll

I really wouldn't take the i-Net+ unless 1) you are into html coding, or 2) you are just trying to rack up the number of certs you have. I would go to the CCNA since it is only one test, then jump to Microsoft for the MCSE. As for experience, ask some non-profit organizations if you can donate some of your time to help them with technology problems they may be facing.

I hadn't considered the CCNA. Is that a basic Cisco certification? And thanks for the suggestion on volunteering time. As bad as it sounds I hadn't considered that option.

The CCNA is the first one you should take in the cisco career certifications. It says you know how to configuer switches and routers for basic switching and routing functionality. You get a better look at ip addressing, subnetting, how internetworks work, etc. In doing my job searching, in all the ads I see they want CCNA and MCSE for Network Admins.

As far as studying for it, I used the Cisco Press book written by Wendell Odom. He is a good author. I also recommend the Sybex book by Todd Lammle, also another good author. I used both of these, transcenders, and you have to get your hands on some equipment. At least the routersim by Boson, if not the real thing.

Jon

The Cybex e-trainer kit is pretty good - it provides a software emulator of several Cisco routers and a switch via a software application, and comes with the CCNA study guide.

Jonathan

Thanks for the advice...Got my iNet+ under my belt and I am soon to start my CCNA I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back