Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Drives Unmapping

Status
Not open for further replies.

rongnp

Technical User
Jan 4, 2004
CA
Hi All,

I have a user with XP Pro SP2 laptop, who quite often accesses multiple mapped drives via VPN. For some reason, one of the mapped drives will sometimes only show the sync'd folders on that drive. The only way around this is to remap the drive. The issue does not occur with the other mapped drives.

The only difference I can determine between this and the other mapped drives is that users regularly create new subfolders in the folders available offline. Could this cause the issue? If so, any tips for correcting it (other than telling users to stop creating the new subfolders)? If not, any other ideas?

Thanks.

Are you getting any Conflicts (errors) with the Synchronization of the Offline files in regards to this user?

The intermittent fault you are seeing is a hard one to fathom being that it seems to come and go. Are there any clues, relative to the times of the fault, appearing in the Event Viewers?

Sometimes you see mapped drive letters changing as and when USB drives get plugged in. Are your mapped drives using high letters like "Z" to avoid this?

Hi Linney,

Thanks for the reply.

There are no sync errors, and if the user is to be connected to the LAN directly it doesn't occur.

I never thought of the USB drive being the cause, so I will look into it (our Network drives are mapped G,H,I,J, and K). It only seems to be the H: drive that "loses" its mapping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back