Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Drives not responding

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim2002

IS-IT--Management
Jul 18, 2002
US
I have setup a vista ultimate at one workstation to test compatibility with all my apps.

The Vista machine seems to lose connection to the mapped drives. Of course the user loses data in Word when working on a network drive.

A search on google shows many complaints about similar problems but no real solutions.

The drives are mapped using a script that works fine on XP and the machines is a member of users on the domain just like the XP machines.

When i open my computer the network drives have a red x, the x goes away after a min or when i click on a drive, it just is really slow.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Any initial slowness may be a result of Indexing of any Mapped drives? That would eventually disappear after Indexing has completed.

Are there any clues from the Event Viewer?

Any difference if you try Vista loaded in Safe Mode with Networking?

File and Printer Sharing in Windows Vista

thanks for teh reply.

The system has been running for a little over a week.

If anything it is getting slower.

the user does login on to a 2003 domain controller with an active directory account

Today befor i posted i turned on network discovery and file sharing.

event viewer holds no clues.

i will try safe mode with networking, but the problems is intermittent and shows up when the computer is being used like in word

These links are more XP related than Vista but if you are clutching at straws you might do worse than read them.

Mapped Drive Connection to Network Share May Be Lost

Drives Disconnected when second user logs in
thread779-1102189

Mapped Drive takes forever to open in XP!
thread779-935638

Networking problem
thread779-957524

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back