Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Drive with Windows Vista Business

Status
Not open for further replies.

asanchez4

Programmer
Apr 22, 2004
US
I'm having a weird problem with Windows Vista Business Addition.

I have enabled Network Passwords for this particular user account and I also have a mapped network drive.

If I go to an explorer window and I put the path "\\cm-server-1\bob" it logins in automatically as expected.

If I go to the mapped network drive that is mapped to the same location "\\cm-server-1\bob" it requests the username/password -- which is what I do not want.

I'm expecting to automatically login without using a username/password.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Are the required login credentials for the mapped drive the same as the Windows user credentials?

No, there are different. The username/password on the windwos machine is different than the Samba password/username.

thanks

Anything in this thread?

Vista always asking for user name and password
thread1583-1421940

Drifting slightly off topic.... consdiger using the Samba username map.

Back on topic: I'm not sure what you mean by "enabled Network Passwords for this particular user account" (are you referring to file sharing passwords?), but the mapped network drive is going to try to connect with the Windows user credentials - I'd be very surprised to see \\server\share in the windows explorer address bar behave any differently. What does it do at the command prompt using: net use \\cm-server-1\bob ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back