Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network drive disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmmaul

Technical User
Apr 16, 2003
US
Please excuse if this is the wrong forum - maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

I have a 98se computer and W2k server. The employee will be working on a document or spreadsheet located on her network drive. Sometimes when she tries to save or print or just minimize and maximize the file she will suddenly be unable to access the network drive. The only fix is to reboot. There are 12 other comparable computers in the office and none do this. I have done all the obvious troubleshooting: changed cables, changed NIC cards, reinstalled Office, uninstalling Norton, etc., to no avail. The only protocol we use is TCP/IP.

Has anybody got any ideas?

not sure why it would disconnect itself.. I could find any timer settings for network drives.

as a temporary fix you could put a batch file on her desktop that says:

net use t: \\servername\folder\subfolder etc
ie
net use t: \\win2kserver\documents\spreadsheets

then if she gets disconnected, just have her double click on the batch file, which will reconnect it.

Check the powersave options. Sometimes if the network connection has been idle for too long, the computer will "shut down" the network card. Turn your powersave option to Always On and see if that helps.

I have found out in this forum as mentioned above that some nic cards actually have their own power setting accessible thru device manager nic card properties

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back