Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network drive and large files (1+ Gig) won`t transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartinCouture

Technical User
Feb 16, 2002
CA
I have XP machine and a laptop connected on a small LAN (XP machine has 2 NIC cards, no router used) and everything seems to work great: Have internet on the laptop through the XP machine (ICS), I can see and share folders OK.

The problems start when I want to burn my CD images from the laptop (some are up to 3.8 gigs) on the XP machine with the DVD burner.

It will start to transfer and then stall at approximately 20 seconds then give me:
"the specified network name is no longer available"

During that time, I cannot use explorer to see the shared folders. I tried to map to a drive, but with the same results.

After a minute, everything is back to normal ! I can browse network folders ok...I get the same results with large folder with many small files, but I can transfer all the small files if I copy only a small portion at a time.

Thanks

Marty

-----------------
[flush]

Thanks, checked both support links...

315237: ended up increasing time intervals in the network communications, which kinda worked, but now the file would take 178 minutes to transfer !!!

Second link: was for "that are configured to require Server Message Block (SMB) signing " which I don't think I have.

So before trying No2, re-installed Internet Connection Sharing, played around in the network settings (with my limited knowledge), and results were better: finally transfered my 3.2 gig file ok in 6 minutes...

So thanks !

-----------------
[flush]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back