Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Disk usage monitoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsully

MIS
Sep 4, 2003
US
How do you monitor disk usage on shared directories\network drives? For example...I check my disk space on Tuesday, I have 50 Gig available. Wednesday, 49.9 avail. Thursday, 40 Gig available. how do I know where that 9.9 Gig went? How do I know which folder has the extra data? Or which 10 Gig folder "accidentally" got copied to the directory above it? I have hundreds of directories and cannot check the properties on each one daily. Are there software packages out to monitor and run reports to check this data?

Thoughts?

David

Users.....not just for breakfast anymore!!

You can use the diskuse.exe tool that is part of the Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit. It's a command line tool that is very useful. I have also used iDisk and DiskData. I believe they are both free, and they offer an excellent graphical representation of where your data is. I had problems with DiskData correctly identifying the size of directories that had files larger than 10 Gigs, but otherwise, it is very effective single file executable. iDisk is a little faster, but has a dll or two that needs to be in the same directory as the EXE.

Hope that helps.

I have used (and still do use) diskdata. I like it because I am able to drill down folder by folder to see where my disk space is currently. I am really looking for something that does what diskdata does but then trends or archives that data . I want to see if the sales folder is 20 Gig now, what is was last week and the week before, and be able to drill down and see which folder/file caused the increase.

David

Users.....not just for breakfast anymore!!

I'm not much for 3rd party software, but here's a couple options to do it on your own. Allows for better customization of what you really want to do I think.

Write a simple windows service using .NET's System.IO.FileSystemWatcher (actually a template for this even I think), monitor them on a schedule you want and store the data to a database or even a simple csv file. Then you've got the data and can display using html page, excel, or however you prefer.

Or another less sophisticated way would to be just write a simple vbscript and run it as a scheduled task to get the data (maybe 20 lines of code). And again display however you want.

-jhaith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back