Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Discovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilKGH

IS-IT--Management
Mar 31, 2003
GB
As a complete novice with SMS2003 I am just attempting to get to grips with how it works. I am trying to discover potential clients by doing a network discovery. In the "all systems" collection I have just one computer, the SMS server itself. In the configuration of my network discovery I have the 172.16.0.0 255.255.0.0 network with a padlock, which I gather means it has found clients (presumably just the SMS server). I would like it to discover just one specific computer so I have added it in as a separate subnet 172.16.111.123 255.255.255.255. I set the scan for five minutes, as this should be enough to discover one machine, but it will not find it. I have also tried creating a subnet 172.16.111.0 255.255.255.0 in case it didn't like searching on a 32 bit subnet mask.

What am I doing wrong and what do I need to do to discover machines?

Regards,
Phil.

it may have found it, jsut not updated your UI. Right click on the collection container and click Update Collection Membership, and tick to Update Sub Collections.
The click in the collections pane, and press F5, to refresh the view. If that doesn't work, then you do have a technical issue.

Have you enabled Heartbeat Discovery also, that would be advisable.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant
HND, BSc HONS, CCNA, BCS, IETF, DMTF

5 minutes is a bit fast for network discovery. If you are just looking to get resources discovered quick, set the Network Discovery to run every 2 hours for a duration of 1 hour.

As stated above, make sure heartbeat is enabled.

Verify your site boundary list is correct.

Brian Tucker
The Blogcast Repository

Hey, it's Mr Tucker...the ledgend...nice to have you on board Brian. Listen to this guy!

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant
HND, BSc HONS, CCNA, BCS, IETF, DMTF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back