Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network disconnection 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lpmorin

Technical User
Oct 6, 2004
CA
Hi,

I have a problem with my network. We have to division in our network. Couple of hubs for a company link to a couple of hubs for the other company via a single ethernet crossover link. Does work good. We have a router plug to the ethernet on each division of the network each with their own ip adress (x.x.x.1 and x.x.x.2). The problem is that on one part of the network, the internet download cut around 1.5Mb. It is intermittent and only affects one of the routers.

Any ideas?

It doesn't take much to slow down a shared 10 meg ethernet network , remember on a shared network this 10 meg is shared by everyone , one person doing a download will slow everyone else down .

Quote: "Couple of hubs for a company link to a couple of hubs for the other company via a single ethernet crossover link."

I really think you should consider bringing in a good network analyst for this issue, as your internet issues on one network segment is likely a warning that your cable plant is not at FAST standards for ethernet.

Given how reasonable prices are for switches, VLAN capable routers and other things that might be needed to make good orderly sense of your cable plant, this strikes me as a very good idea. Often firms keep adding additional hubs and other devices in an unordered fashion to an existing cable plant and inch incrementally closer to bringing the whole thing to its knees.

A very solid review of the cabling, and all devices both from a physical networking and logical networking analysis, is strongly suggested in your case. Now is the time to build a suitable plant for networking in the next 3-5 years.

Sorry, they are all switches. What happened is that company A has rewired with 3Com rackmount switches. Company A is the one without problems. Company B is the one with problems. All switches are Lynsys ones (stackables). Problems dissapears once I disconnect company A routers from company B. It also happens intermittently...

I have just done an ethernet dump with ethereal suspecting some broadcast from a machine causing the error and I saw a lot of broadcast IPX packets from a copier, fax, printing, all-in.one machine. Could IPX be the source of my problem?

While MANY HP devices seem eager to broadcast every protocol known to man (which CAN be turned off) it does not ususally take more than 5% of the bandwidth.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back