Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network, DHCP, Server, Router problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thijs

Technical User
Nov 24, 2000
NL
Hello!

I have a problem with configuring my "network".
I have the following setup:

adslmodem/draytek 2200e router/w2kserver+dhcp/network

The modem is just a pass through object. Is connects to the draytek router. Which is a relay agent. The modem has a fixed IP on the "outside" and one on the "inside" (192.168.1.1). This last IP is ported to 192.168.1.2, which is the draytek router.
On the draytek there are two IP's. 192.168.1.2 and 10.0.0.1

The 10.0.0.1 "talks" to 10.0.0.2 which is the fixed IP on my first W2K server NIC. In my W2K server there is an other NIC which has fixed IP 192.168.1.1

Pretty much work you would say, but the reason why it is this way is because in the network there are servers who need fixed IP's and those are in 192.168.1.x range.

But what I want now is to get from the network on the internet. So far I can ping from (a laptop) to the server. The server gives my laptop a IP adres (dhcp of course). That works. I can even ping the adress 10.0.0.2 but I can't get any further.
But! From the server I can reach 10.0.0.1 which is the adres of my draytek router....

Can anybody help me? Cause I am lost....

ps: alle subnetmasks are on 255.255.255.0

Thanks in advance!

Thijs Kromhout
The Netherlands

Well, I think there mix up the way you setup your Networks.

1stly the Ip address 192.168.1.1 is on your Modem right?
2. Your 1st w2k server also has the same Ip address 192.168.1.1 I think this is not Ideal.I will advice to stud y more of Ip addressing very well (Google can help with that)

So 1st of all try to change the Ip address on your W2k server to may be 172.16.1.1

And make sure your Gateway Addresses are set accordingly on the w2k servers.

Well, I think there mix up the way you setup your Networks.
"In my W2K server there is an other NIC which has fixed IP 192.168.1.1"

1stly the Ip address 192.168.1.1 is on your Modem right?
2. Your 1st w2k server also has the same Ip address 192.168.1.1 (AS QUOTED ABOVE)I think this is not Ideal.I will advice to study more of Ip addressing. (Google can help with that)

So 1st of all try to change the Ip address on your 1st W2k server to may be 172.16.1.1

And make sure your Gateway Addresses are set accordingly on the w2k servers.

Then try to ping the addresses
192.168.1.2,and 10.0.0.1 from the w2k servers

use iptables to masquerade ip addressess on dialin server which acts like dhcp to outside clients.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back