Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Connection Slows Win Explorer !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GLG123

Technical User
May 4, 2006
US
This is a problem happening at work. For some reason, intermittently (at least I believe), managing, opening, etc.. files, when connected to the network, takes about 5x longer then when not connected to the network.

I'm talking about files on MY actual drives. The actual editing of files with programs is completely un-affected. If I want to move, view, and open them, it's ridiculous how long it takes. The other day I pulled out my network cable and the problem went away immediately. Plugged it back in, and it came right back. This has stumped us here, including the IT guy.

Any Solutions

TIA

FAQ779-4784 may help.

windows XP running very slow
thread779-796508

Disable, not uninstall, any unused network adapters

Slow network browsing in Windows XP

files accessed slow through my computer and not shortcuts
thread779-647815

Thanks for your feedback. I've got a huge list of little things here and there to check. My IT guy has a few things he wants to do as well. What is weirdest thing about this: At one point this problem was very intermittent, maybe 1 to 2 hours of the day. For the last couple of days it has been all day long.

Thanks again.

Is this machine on the Domain?

Hope this Helps.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

Do you have any Maped Drives?

Hope this Helps.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

I have a few personally mapped drives. Corporate has a script that sets up a couple of others. As far as I see there is no inteference between my custom ones, the corporate ones, and the physical ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back