Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network connection monitoring software??

Status
Not open for further replies.

dallas4u

MIS
Dec 29, 1999
US
I'm looking for a free or shareware program to simply monitor a connection to a server or router through the WAN, and a connection to the internet. For some reason, the network performance monitor installed at our corporate office shows our local site losing the connection to them 7-8 times every night in a 45 minute period. I'm starting to wonder if it is on our side or theirs.

I'd like to find something I can run on our side that will monitor a constant connection to them (one of their servers, routers, whatever...) and just a connection to the internet to see if it is our T1 connection dropping, or a connection on their side that is dropping.

Anyway... does anyone have any ideas on free or demo software I can run overnight that will do this??

Thanks in advance!!!!

Are you looking for statistics or just a up or down indication ?

Rick Harris
SC Dept of Motor Vehicles
Network Operations

Just up or down indication... if it can provide statistics, that would be great. I need to see if and when the connection goes down.

MRTG has graphs. Requires some programming experience.
Good for trends.

Rick Harris
SC Dept of Motor Vehicles
Network Operations

GREAT!!! Just downloaded Look@LAN... I'll check it out.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back