Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

network connection lost in Win2000 after changing computer name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rsandoval

MIS
Jan 30, 2002
US
Hi.

Here is my setup with computer names in the workgroup PLATINUM.

A) Win 2000 Server (PLT-SRVR)- new load
B) Win 2000 Pro Workstation (Workstation1) - new load
C) Win 2000 Pro Workstation (Workstation2) - existing load
- previously named (server)
D) Linksys Router w/4 port switch
E) Netgear PS110 Print Server
F) Static IPs for all (192.168.1.x)

I have software that I am sharing data. That data is stored on the server in a shared folder that others have mapped as E:

Here is my problem:
I installed the PLT-SRVR and Workstation1 and they connect perfectly. I just loaded them with "TCP/IP", "Client for Microsoft Networks" and "File and Printer Sharing". The mapped drive on the Workstation1 continues to connect to PLT-SRVR like a champ. Both the Workstation1 and PLT-SRVR connect and print to the Print Server without a problem.

Now, Workstation2 was originally setup with the workgroup "PMORTGAGE" and a computer name of Server. It initially connected to the PLT-SRVR without a problem to transfer files. Here is the catch and I beleive it is the problem. **I changed the workgroup to "Platinum" and the computer name to "Workstaion2". When I rebooted and tried to connect to PLT-SRVR, I could not connect. I could not connect or see anything (Workstaion1 or the Print Server). The other computers could see Workstation2 but Workstation2 could not see any of the other computers or re-establish the mapped drive to PLT-SRVR.

I believe there is a file on Workstation2 that is causing the problem which is associated with the logons. I think if I delete it to remove any previous computer names or connections, the system will poll and recreate allowing me to connect. I do not want to have to reload the system.

Any Ideas??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back