Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network connection from XP box to W2K Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

stralkin

Technical User
Jun 1, 2005
US
I want to access the printer, and also some shared folders on a W2K Box. I have tried to make the connection from an XP box and also a W-7 Box and in both cases, can not log on the the W2K box ( i get a message that the user/password is incorrect) I have made sure that the same user with the same password and admin privledge is in all computers and all belong to the same work group. Any suggestions? - there is no sensitive info on the W2K box, so it would be ok to just remove all security if i need to.

How is the Win2k machine set up? If its Formatted NTFS along with the shred permissions you need to set the regular security permissions of the local user to be able to access the folder.

You may also need to reset the password usage in the XP machine for the login to the Win2k machine:
From the XP box, go to Start->Run and type in "control usserpasswords2" without the quotes.

In the Password Management box click on the Advanced Tab, and the click on Passwords under Manage Passwords and .Net Passports.

Look for an entry with the Win2000 machine's name and remove it.
Then try to access the Computer again through the network. XP should prompt you for a user and password this time.

For Win7 you'll likely have to go into Credential Manager. Just type "Credential Manager" in the Search bar of the start menu.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back