Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Connection Drops - Please Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

iSeriesCodePoet

Programmer
Jan 11, 2001
US
One of the people in my department (IT) has problems with her computer droping from the network all the time (about every 5 to 10 mins). We have tried everything moving the connection from switch to hub, new networkd card, new cables, plug connection to a known working port, static IP address, Dynamic IP address, and hard set the card to full duplex. It gets really anoying thoughout the day.

Has anyone else have this problem in the past?

Micron Machine (not sure on config), 3com nic, Win2K.

Any help would be greatly appeciated!
Mike Wills
IT Corporate Support (aka iSeries Progammer)
koldark@koldark.net

Is her license being revoked after a specified amount of time.There is a setting to only allow a certain time period for connection.After the time expires she would have to log back on and repeat the cycle.

What do you mean by license?
It will reconnect after a minute or so. She doesn't have to log off and on agian. Do you mean lease, as in IP address lease from the DHPC server? If so, no, we had a static IP address set and still had the same problems.
Mike Wills
koldark@koldark.net

HI
Some of the motherboards do not have the cache memory suitable for the NIC (especially the ones with dummy cache.. the mother boards used to come with 486 computers earlier)... These motherboards often fail in network situations. SO your computer specification is what you should be inspecting to sort out this matter.
Best of luck..
ramani :-9
(Subramanian.G)
FoxAcc
ramani_g@yahoo.com
LET KNOW IF THIS HELPED. ENOUGH EXPERTS ARE HERE TO HELP YOU OUT! BEST OF LUCK :)

This is a P3 system with at least 128 MB of RAM. Could software that is running affect it? We use IBM Client Access to hook up to AS400s. Plus AIM, Outlook, Track-It! and a couple other network based programs.
Mike Wills
koldark@koldark.net

To be honest you've done all the logical steps- on first look it really looks like duplicate IP address or even dup netbios name but you've pretty much ruled these out.

Have you any clues in event viewer either on client or server ?

I guess the next stage would really be to capture network traffic and see if you can identify what's causing the network connection to drop - you can use network monitor(netmon)or many others available on the web! for this to capture and read network traffic- there should be a clue there.

Does the same thing happen to any other user logged on to this machine ?

I wonder if the NIC setting of allow the computer to shut down the device to save power would do that.

From "Start\Settings\Control Panel\Administrative Tools\Local Security Policy" make sure the "Effective Setting" of "Local Policies\Security Options\Amount of idle time before disconnecting session" is set to "0". Heath Racine
Principal Systems Engineer
Fidelity Investments Systems Company/
Desktop and Mobile Platforms

hi all,

I have exactly the same problem, except i do not log on to any domain. Win2k,98se,Xp network 3com hubs.
I tried the aplicable fixes above, but nothing works.
logging off doesn't help either, the computer has to be restarted.

Charles

I think i might have cracked it....
The first thing, Change the ip adress if not DHCP, if DHCP release and renew it.
2. Change the computer name
3. In servicees, make sure the network connection service is set to automatic and started.
Worked for me....try it!
Hope it helps!

Any other suggestions around this problem? I have a Dell machine, running Windows 2000 Server and the network I/F runs for 5-6 minutes and stops. In 4-5 minutes the network I/F will restart. I've repaced the card. I've renamed the machine. I've set the disconnect policies to 0. Still have the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back