Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network congestion test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 4, 2008
US
Hi all,

I would like to test our Lan that is running about 150 computer and 12 servers for network congestions. We have 8 switches and one netscree which is our gateway/firewall.Is there something that i can use to test it for free? I have used simple ping and i get >1 replys..but i still think eihter our network is congested or soemthign is wrong.
Thanks In advanced.

Take a look at wireshark -
or Cacti -
I have used wireshark in the past, with good results.

Twist

===========================================
Everything will be OK in the end.
If it's not OK, then it's not the end

You're getting over a 1second response? That's pretty bad. Why so many switches?

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

There are no more PDC's! There are DC's with FSMO roles!

If you're noticing the lag when accessing some of the servers specifically, setup wireshark on an expendable (temporary atleast)workstation, and span out one of the server ports on the switch to that workstation - you'll see everything.

twisst, Thank you, i m starting the dwonload right now.

Davetoo Sorry, i meant less than 1 on the ping replys.

Allywilson, i m not that familiar with swtiching to know what you mean by span out one the server server post on the switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back