Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network congestion test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 4, 2008
US
Hi all,

I would like to test our Lan that is running about 150 computer and 12 servers for network congestions. We have 8 switches and one netscree which is our gateway/firewall.Is there something that i can use to test it for free? I have used simple ping and i get >1 replys..but i still think eihter our network is congested or soemthign is wrong.
Thanks In advanced.

PRTG will let you monitor 3 devices for free (the freeware version) and not too expensive to add devices

You'll need to dedicate a PC to it and plug that PC into a monitoring (mirrored) port on a switch

I use it and have found it to be a help to me

Norm

Thank you. i misstyped its less than 1 on the reply. but i know the network is running slow, because i did some testing with an appliction that on the server was responding very fast but from a machine on the lan was running slow. I jsut dont know how to run a test on my netowrk. i dont have cisco swithes, its just plain 100mb 3com swithces. i run sniffer which helps me see the broadcast on the network but thats about it.

Another good software product to try is called nTop. Years ago they had this as freeware and I still swear by it looking at who's hogging the LAN :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back