Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Configuration 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazqn

Technical User
May 8, 2000
US
I administer a small network w/ NTServer4.0 and about 20 users (NT, 98 & 95)that need connectivity to the Internet.  We recently had DSL installed and we were given 5 static IP addresses, a router IP address with a Netopia router thrown in.  Previously, we had ISDN with an Arescom router acting as the DHCP server. I would like to have dynamic IP addressing for all 20 users with each of them being able to connect to the Internet.  Can anybody send me suggestions on how I should set this up?

See if your router supports NAT (network address translation) & IP addressing as designated in RFC 1918. If so, use DHCP to assign all your internal addresses using RFC 1918, and assign your router's external interface (the one that connects you to the internet) with a static IP address. This should work for all your internal needs and still have 4 static ip addresses left over.<br><br>

Further to the above reply, you should use internal addressing on your internal network and have a router give you proxy style access to the Internet. Otherwise each machine is &quot;live&quot; on the Internet! Therefore open to attacks.<br><br>Do as the man says - Use routing!

This is a very easily done configuration. Setup DHCP server on the Windows NT box. If you have a few specific addresses to remain static, just reserve them in DHCP. Also have DNS set up for local name resolution. Get a router ( I prefer Cisco) or maybe the Netopia can do it but many times the included hardware from the ISP is just a bridge.. bad security. Set up NAT with at least one of the ISP provided IPs as the *outside* address and configure the LAN IP range as the *inside*. On a Cisco you will need use a command called *overload* which tells the router to share the one IP across the inside range. You can setup static NAT addresses where the outside &quot;real&quot; IP will be mapped to an inside IP of your choosing. Nobody will see the inside IP, just the ISP provided on. You can also redirect specific ports through NAT. I do this for my web server where there is a static NAT map from my 1 ISP ip address to a static inside address and it ONLY allows port 80. <br><br>Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back