Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network command from the Command Prompt

Status
Not open for further replies.

semiles

Technical User
Apr 13, 2002
US
Does anyone know the command line to monitor Network security from the command prompt. I think there is a way that I can do this from the command prompt to actually see where a hacker has attempted to break in. Can anyone help

Well, there's NETSH, which allows one to administer several of the network services.

There's NETSTAT which allows you to see all your open ports and who your computer is connecting to and allowing connections from at a given time.

There's also NETDIAG (resource kit) that does a thorough going-over of your network configuration and gives you a detailed report of its findings.

And then there are the ubiquitous NET commands which do all sorts of things but probably wouldn't allow you to DETECT hacking, but can enable you to change certain things like passwords and domain account security configurations.

Hope this pointed you in the right direction. If any of these looks useful, type that name into the search engine at and look for instructions on how to use it. You will find more information than people here can provide and it will save people a lot of typing.

ShackDaddy

Go to a command prompt and type net help. See if there's anything in there you like. I use net send all the time to communicate with my other W2K and XP users. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[yinyang]
"Take nothing on its looks: take everything on evidence. There's no better rule."
Charles Dickens (1812-1870); English novelist, dr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back