Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Clients, Services & Protocols Missing when view Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

SockMonkey

IS-IT--Management
Mar 6, 2000
US
When I go to view a Local Area Connection on a laptop, the Adapter information is blank except for the network adapter icon, and even more bizarre is that the Client, Protocol Services information is blank and if I go to add one it say it can find the file.

How can I get this information visible again?

I have already reviewed some MS knowledgebase articles and checked to make sure certain Services were running and netman, netshell, netcfgx dll's were registered.

WHat else can I do?

Chris
I have already tried that and no change. Even tried an alternate card.

The strange thing is that TCP/IP protocol is still working so I can get out to the internet since we use DHCP, however I can not log into the network.

RObert

If you ended up on a different subnet than your authentication server, I would consider installing an LMHOSTS and putting the server ip/hostname in the HOSTS file of the computer you're trying to log on with...

LMHOSTS contains the domain information.. This information can be easily found through google or MS's website.

Perhaps there's also a local comptuer policy prohibiting you from changing network settings, since you get outside fine?

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back