Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

muos

IS-IT--Management
Jan 5, 2003
GB
Please someone advise. I have one server with 2 PC’s hanging off it. I only have 56k as I live in the hills = bull I know = no ADSL poor show, but one has to live with what one has. I have set-up server with the modem with ICS enabled to feed the PC’s.

DNS 10.10.10.2 Sub 255.255.255.0
PC’s 10.10.10.3 & 4 | PC’s Gateway 10.10.10.2

Server:

DHCP
Is down red arrow is down, witch I take as DHCP is not active. The IP number displayed [169.254.46.165] = don’t know why this IP number?

WINS
Is green arrow up, Status = Responding [169.254.46.165] = don’t know why this IP number?

I keep getting the fallowing errors in Event Viewer

Event ID 62

This Machine is a PDC of the domain at the root of the forest. Configure to sync from External time source using the net command, 'net time /setsntp:<server name>'.

Event ID 1051

The DHCP/BINL service has determined that it is not authorized to service clients on this network for the Windows domain: Muos.co.uk.

Event ID 31002

The DNS proxy agent was unable to bind to the IP address 192.168.0.1. This error may indicate a problem with TCP/IP networking. The data is the error code.

I have tried keeping to the IP range that window’s wants, i.e. Server 198.162.0.1
PC’s 198.162.0.2 & 3 = no luck same errors.

Can anyone tell me how to resolve the errors?

HI.

When using ICS - let the OS use its defaults.
Remove or disable the DHCP server - ICS has a built in DHCP server instead.
Remove or disable WINS - no need for it in small LAN.

Disable ICS, and then re-enable it. Let windows setup the LAN nic with 192.168.0.1 .
Configure all other workstations for automatic IP (DHCP client) with no manual configuration.
Make sure that clients get a 192.168.0.x address, and DHCP server + DNS server of 192.168.0.1

If you're server had AD (Domain Controller) and DNS, then make sure your DNS server is not acting as a root server.
If so, delete the &quot;root&quot; zone in DNS manager, which is shown as a dot &quot;.&quot; under forward lookup zones.

Bye
Yizhar Hurwitz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back