Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network cards hanging in Hyper V- work after pausing the server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bchizary

Technical User
Aug 28, 2003
GB
Guys and gals, wondering if you have seen this happening before?
I have a Windows 2008 R2 server running in Hyper V.
Never had problems before, the server has 2 network cards assigned to it. All of a sudden, one will stop responding to pings (they have different IPs of course).
When i log onto the server i cant disable the network card or do anything with it...

If i then go to hyper V and pause the server, then resume it... the card comes back and all is fine.

This has happened with more than one server on this host.

Are you using NICs that are teamed on the Hyper-V host? I've seen this with older versions of BASP on Hyper-V.

MCITP:Server Administrator
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator
MCITP:Virtualization Administrator 2008 R2
Certified Quest vWorkspace Administrator

The NIC isnt teamed.

Sorry for slightly delayed reply!!

This is still happening.

If I'm reading this correctly from you, then I have had this issue twice before. I have some NICs dedicated to the Hyper-V Networking (so not shared) and when this happened to me, I had to share it to see if I could ping the NIC outside of Hyper-V, which I could. So turned out all I had to do was recreate the VM configuration for that VM as it somehow got corrupted. The VM will see the new NIC and you can assign it the same IP address as the old NIC had. Then I would do a clean up on the old NIC from device manager if it were me. Link provided will show you how to do this as the device will be hidden.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back