Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network card speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

caitsdeo

Programmer
May 25, 1999
US
The network in my area is changing to handle 100 mbits/sec. Currently my systems are running at 10 mbits/sec. How do I find out if the network cards in my HP 10.20 servers and workstations are capable of running at the faster speed? If they are, how do I change them?

I don't believe you can determine the capacity of your nic through unix tools.&nbsp;&nbsp;If you don't have the specs you can go to the nic's web site and see what it can do.&nbsp;&nbsp;If you are want to play games go ahead and up the speed or duplex and see if your everything comes to a halt.&nbsp;&nbsp;Actually if you have dual nics you can change one and see if it works.<br><br>Use SAM or check the man pages for lan and lanadmin.&nbsp;&nbsp;You should be able to modify the autonegotiate, speed, and duplex from these.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>hth<br>Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back