Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network card pausing IE with dial-up connection! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

xscape

Programmer
Apr 18, 2001
GB
Hi all, here's a problem that's been bugging me for a while now...

I've got a D-Link DFE-530TX ethernet card for accessing a LAN when at Uni, but when I'm at home I go back to a dial-up connection for the Internet. I noticed that when I use IE (or any other app that accesses the 'Net) with my dial-up connection when I'm home I get a pause of about 30secs to 1min every 5 minutes of use. It basically won't send or recieve any requestsduring this pause. If I've got a file already downloading, the connection isn't affected for that, but IE and Outlook Express etc still pause for no reason. It's not like a lock-up, it's just like it's sitting and waiting for something... if you get me?!

I thought it might be the Network settings affecting it, but I've just upgraded the system and used a brand new Hard Drive - the 'net ran fine until I installed the Ethernet card drivers. I've not set it up for the network yet, I'm just using dial-up. It seemed to be OK before I put the drivers on...

So any ideas as to how to 'cure' this!? It even pauses when I'm using Personal Web Server to run my ASP apps on my local web space. Any help would be greatly appreciated, cos it's starting to really bug me now!

Here's my system (if it's any help!):
Windows 98 SE (Original and best (most of the time!)
AMD Athlon XP 2000+
Abit KX7-333 Mo Bo
256MB PC2700 DDR RAM
CDRW and DVD drives
Maxtor 40Gb ATA133 Hard Drive
Abit Siluro GeForce 4 Ti4200
Creative SoundBlaster PCI128
Hauppauge WinTV Card
And finally...
D-Link DFE-530TX PCI ethernet card!

Any ideas?!!?
Cheers!

Why not set up 2 hardware configurations (My Computer > Properties > hardware profiles). Have one that only uses the dialup and 1 that uses the NIC. When you computer starts it will give you the option of choosing which configuration you want to use at that particular time. We are always looking for new members at our computer forums: Please come join our community too.

Check to see if you have any resources being shared, particularly by the network card. If yes, then trying allocating unique IRQs or whatever. Are you using the latest network card drivers?

ROGER - GØAOZ.

Yep all the new drivers installed. Didn't seem to be any conflicts so I tried setting up a new hardware profile.
What a brilliant idea! I just set up two new profiles, one for dial-up without the network card present, and one for network with both modem and network card. Now I just have to choose which one on startup. Fantastic stuff!

Thanks a lot dumdum :). Have a star! Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back